Video shows

Video shows Idaho man driving van into liquor store

When a Nampa man was arrested after allegedly beating an employee before ramming his van into the entrance of a liquor store last week, police said the building’s five employees and customers did not had not been injured.

Security camera footage from the liquor store shows when the truck slammed into the building and destroyed part of the store, and how close it came to hitting employees and customers.

In the footage, frightened employees and customers can be seen watching the suspect, who had just left the building, through the glass doors of the establishment at 1225 12th Avenue Road around 8 p.m. on April 12.

An employee, mobile phone to her ear, approached the door before running away and out of frame.

“Oh my God,” said one person in the store. “I thought he was going to rush into our building.”

Moments later, the employee with a phone to her ear approached the front doors again, while a second employee helped a customer make a purchase. Another customer is queuing.

The first employee pointed her finger outside the door before turning on her heels and running away, shouting, “Oh my God, he’s turning around.”

The people in the store screamed and quickly ran out of the store entrance.

Immediately afterwards, a large van slammed into the front doors of the building, destroying the entrance, checkout and front area of ​​the store where several people had been standing moments earlier.

All five people inside the store – customers and employees – escaped unscathed, according to a press release from the Nampa Police Department.

After crashing into the building, the suspect, Richard Craig Christiancy, reversed and drove off, the statement said. The vehicle was found shortly afterwards in the 200 block of West Greenhurst Road and the 61-year-old suspect, who had left the truck, was taken into custody.

Christiancy was charged with five counts of aggravated assault, court records show. Nampa police spokeswoman Carmen Boeger said the five charges relate to the five people inside the store.

Christiancy was also charged with two counts of maliciously injuring property, failing to notify while hitting light fixtures on the freeway and felony enhancement for using a deadly weapon in the commission of a crime, which Boeger said was related to how the truck was used during the apparent attack.

Witnesses saw the driver hitting objects outside the store, including another vehicle and “landscape features”, according to the statement.

The Idaho statesman obtained the footage from the Idaho State Liquor Division through a public records request. Many liquor stores in Idaho are state-operated.

On Tuesday, Idaho State Liquor Division Chief Financial Officer Tony Faraca said the liquor store had reopened, less than a week after the incident.

The suspect interacts with an employee before the accident

Minutes before Christiancy enters the liquor store, he can be seen on video at the checkout inside the store. He seemed to catch an employee. He was later charged with misdemeanor battery.

An employee reported to Nampa Dispatch that the man was acting in a “belligerent” manner and refused to leave, according to Nampa’s press release. Christiancy was also charged with misdemeanor driving under the influence, according to court records.

“They denied selling him anything, so that’s apparently where the aggravation started,” Boeger said.

In Idaho, state law prohibits the sale of alcohol to people who appear to be intoxicated, Faraca said in an email.

In the video, an employee told Christiancy, “No no, you’re good, it’s just the rules we have to follow. So it’s okay, just be careful.

Moments later, Christiancy, standing by the counter, asked the clerk, “Can I say something?”

He leaned towards her, and the employee leaned towards him, seeming to have trouble hearing his mumbled words. Christiancy then put her arms around her head and seemed to grab her.

“No, no, no, no, no,” she said. “No sir.”

On Tuesday, Christiancy was being held in Canyon County Jail. He was arrested on April 13 and bail was set at $1 million.

A preliminary hearing is scheduled for April 26.

This story was originally published April 19, 2022 4:20 p.m.

Idaho Statesman Related Stories

Ian Max Stevenson is a breaking news reporter at the Idaho Statesman. If you enjoy seeing stories like this, consider supporting our work by subscribing to our journal.
Support my work with a digital subscription